Getting Started and Creating a VoiceThread
VoiceThread is web-based presentation software that allows users to create and share interactive multimedia slideshows. VoiceThread presentations are used to showcase audio, video, images, and documents while allowing users to comment on them in a variety of different ways. The result is an ongoing, asynchronous digital conversation that can be easily shared with individuals, groups, and/or embedded into different websites.
Logging into VoiceThread
Go to http://jhu.voicethread.com and login with your JHED ID and password.
Finished VoiceThread Presentation
Setting up your Microphone
If you intend to use the audio record feature, you will need a working microphone. To do this, we highly suggest you use a USB headset microphone. If you have ever participated in a LiveTalk or Adobe Connect session, the same mic can be used. You can also use the microphone that is built in to your computer. Please see the following linked instructions to set up a microphone on your Mac or PC.
Creating a VoiceThread
1. Gather the materials that you will be using in your presentation (presentation files, images, videos, etc.).
TIP: While you can use a PowerPoint file as your presentation, we have found that saving the presentation as a .pdf file before uploading to VoiceThread often works better.
2. Once you have accessed VoiceThread, click the 'Create' link in the top left.
3. In the center of the screen, click to expand the 'Add Media' option menu:
'My Computer' allows you to upload files from your computer (or you can drag and drop files right onto the screen).
'Media Sources' allows you to upload images or files stored in your own account with media sites such as Flickr.
'Webcam Photo' will use your webcam to take a photo and instantly add it to the slide.
'Webcam Video' allows you to record a video using your webcam.
'URL' allows you to enter the address of a particular file on the internet.
Note: If uploading a video, .mov, .flv, and .mp4 files work best.
4. When you have finished adding media to your presentation, click the Options link in the upper right corner and select 'Playback settings' to edit/adjust the playback settings (see below) for your presentation. Click Update to Save.
Adding a Comment to a VoiceThread Presentation
1. Add a comment to your VoiceThread presentation by clicking the Comment button (in the Create/Edit view).
Alternatively, from the 'Home' screen, you can click on your presentation to play it and comment from there:
2. Several options for commenting will be visible at the bottom center of the slide. (Click the plus sign to expand the options if they are not visible.) Use the navigational buttons in the lower right to progress to the slide where you want to leave the comment.
3. When saved, the comment will appear as your identity icon, located along the left side of the VoiceThread. Any future comments made by others will be added the same way, with identity icons populating the left perimeter of the VoiceThread.
When the VoiceThread is played, each slide will play through/display all comments before proceeding to the next slide.
Editing a VoiceThread
1. From the 'Home' screen, hover over the VoiceThread you would like to edit and click the 'Edit' link in the option menu that appears:
Alternatively, from within the VoiceThread presentation itself, click the option menu in the upper left corner and select 'Edit'.
2. Add additional media or comments, drag and drop to reorder slides, or hover over any slide to edit or delete.
3. When finished editing, click 'Home' to locate and play the VoiceThread to view changes.
Sharing a VoiceThread
1. From the 'Home' screen, hover over the VoiceThread you would like to share and click the 'Share' link in the option menu that appears:
Alternatively, click the Share link from the top of the Create/Edit screen:
Or, from within the VoiceThread presentation itself, click the option menu in the upper left corner and select 'Share.'
2. To share with a group/class, select the group name from the list that appears on the 'Secure' tab.
Note: If your group/class does not appear in this list, you need to first create a group using these instructions.
3. Once you've selected the group(s), use the permission icons on the right side to decide if group members can view, comment, and/or edit the VoiceThread.
Select the 'Notify by email' option if you want group members to receive an email letting them know that the VoiceThread is available to them.
Click 'Share' to share the VoiceThread.
4. You will get a 'Success' message when the group is successfully shared.