Supported Browsers and Operating Systems
Updated for Blackboard Learn 9.1 Q2 2016 (after December 26, 2016 upgrade)
Key to Support Status:
Supported by the vendor and Blackboard.
Unsupported by the vendor or not supported by Blackboard.
|Desktop OS Browser Versions||Mobile and Tablet OS Browser Versions*|
|Android Browser||Not available||4+|
* Mobile versions of these browsers aren't supported for Blackboard Learn 9.1 at this time, although users may have success using them. Blackboard Learn with the Ultra experience is compatible with these browsers on mobile and tablet devices.
** Google Chrome versions 42+ and Microsoft Edge do not support NPAPI-type plug-ins, including Java plug-ins and many media browser plug-ins. Blackboard doesn't support these browsers for use in the following circumstances: 1) with embedded media types that require third-party NPAPI plug-ins for viewing and 2) the multiple-file upload interface located in the Content Collection, although the other multiple-file upload interfaces are supported on these browsers.
Java and other browser plugins
A handful of features in Blackboard Learn require particular additional software to be installed. Without these, the features themselves do not function. The following Blackboard Learn features have plugin requirements:
- Multiple file uploads in Course Files and Content Collection requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Oracle enabled as a browser plugin. The single file upload tool does not have this requirement. The upload applet is signed by Blackboard and includes a timestamping authority that allows the applet to run even after the certificate has expired.
- The Meeting Room and Blackboard Collaborate synchronous communication features (note: JHU does not license Collaborate)
JRE versions 7 and 8 are the recommended versions for features that depend on it. JRE version 6 may work, but could result in unexpected behavior. Oracle has acknowledged some security issues with JRE version 6.
Blackboard Learn does not require any other browser plugins
- Internet Explorer is only supported in Standards Mode.
- Blackboard strives to make all its products as accessible as possible. JAWS 15 and 16 and VoiceOver were used during accessibility testing of Blackboard Learn SaaS.
- Mac OS X 10.8+ Java for Original Blackboard Learn 9.1 interfaces: Java is no longer shipped as part of the OS install and must be downloaded and installed by users on request of application/applet - this is a one-time action on the part of the user.
Technologies NOT supported
- Windows XP
- Windows, Mac OS, and Linux systems not running a supported browser
- Internet Explorer versions 10 and lower which are no longer supported by Microsoft; Internet Explorer on mobile devices
- Firefox versions 30 and lower on desktop; all Firefox versions on mobile devices
- Chrome versions 35 and lower (version 34 and lower on mobile devices)
- Safari versions 5 and lower
- JRE 5 for Blackboard Learn Original user interfaces